Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chickpea Curry Yumminess

So I don't know if anyone cares about what the thompsons choose to chow on, but being a dietitian and 1/2 of a vegan couple, I care ALOT. I try to make the tastiest, most good for you meals without hurting a single animal on just a tiny bit of cash. I'd also like to mention that once we went vegan our grocery bill was reduced by about 1/3 - awesoooome!

I thought I would share one of my favorites from college that circled back around in my brain for lunch today. It feeds at least 6, is full of protein, and is tasty to boot! Give it a try!
Chickpea Curry Yumminess


1. Chop up 2 onions and 2 bell peppers

2. Put a pinch of salt in the bottom of a large skillet over medium high heat.
Let it sit for 1 minute then add in 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp vegan margarine
(Earth Balance is my favorite) - this creates a non-stick effect.

3. Saute the peppers and onions until soft and golden


4. To the peppers and onions
add 8 - 10 oz tomato sauce (or crushed tomatoes)
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red curry powder
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
8 cloves garlic (don't be a garlic baby, trust me it will be good)
add salt to taste


5. Rinse 4 cans of chickpeas (get all that nasty sodium off!) then add to the mixture.
This step is best achieved when listening to The Mountain Goats "No children"



6. Mix it all up till it's mixy and yummy.


7. Enjoy!

much love, the thompsons

No comments:

Post a Comment