Monday, September 20, 2010

Take a Deep Breath

So, as many of you know, I subscribe to a somewhat holistic mindset. I believe proper nutrition can prevent and heal most things affecting us today, I believe Nature knows best, I'm convinced Epsom salts could change your life, I listen to the "nature" and "stress relief" Pandora stations, and I say positive affirmations to myself daily while composting my lunch scraps. Not a total hippy - because I don't believe in that word - but just conscious of my surroundings and trying to leave the space I occupy the same (or fingers crossed a bit better) than when I arrived.

One thing, though, that I still have trouble with is meditation. I have read many an article discussing the benefits of meditation - but I find that every time I try it...well, I feel stupid. I'm just sitting there and I'm supposed to keep my eyes closed (hoping I don't fall asleep) while trying not to fidget and not "think." Really?!

Well, I'm convinced that if so many other people can do it, then so can I. After all, how many times during your day are you given the opportunity to be quiet and reflect upon your day. They say you cannot pass on kindness and love if you do not in fact love and treat yourself with kindness. SO - I am posting a link that we can all (if anyone really in fact reads this blog) try together. It's only 5 minutes and 29 seconds. Surely we can quiet our minds for that long.

Sit quietly and in a comfortable position in your space (preferably without your dog or husband asking what you are doing), close your eyes, and just listen. Listen to your breath, listen to the sounds of nature, think of all the things in your life you are grateful for. Breath in abundance, love, opportunity, and health, and breath out stress, pain, anxiety, and any other negative emotions you are feeling. Breath deeply, filling your tummy, lungs, and spirit with fresh oxygen. When the 5:29 is over, keep your eyes closed until you are ready to greet your morning, afternoon, or evening.

Feels good doesn't it?!

imgres.jpg


much love, the thompsons

No comments:

Post a Comment